Wednesday, February 11, 2009

mushroom cultivation (continued)

This is an update on the mushroom cultivation projects here on site.
Last year I inoculated some birch wood dowels with wild oyster mycelium. I used only about 500 wood dowels to start out and I have seen mycelium transfered to a little more than half of the dowels. I have them in a cardboard box outside in the elements, very non-sterile environment. I am suprised to see it doing so well. I intend to soak more dowels soon to inoculate more for log production.
As for the less vigorous strains of fungus I am not seeing the mycelium running so much. Perhaps some more trial and error will produce better results eventually.
I will be doing a trial run on some purchased inoculated dowels on Feb. 13th. These will hopefully be fruiting in the fall of '09. I'll keep you posted on their progress.

No comments: